Matthew McConaughey and Dr. Anthony Fauci had a lengthy conversation via Instagram on Thursday where the two touched on many aspects of the coronavirus pandemic. Dr. Fauci helped the actor bust some myths about COVID-19, and also left him with a message of hope for the future. But this isn’t the first time the doctor has brushed elbows with celebs!
Matthew McConaughey interviewed Dr. Anthony Fauci for 40 minutes on Instagram Thursday with the fast-talking, Oscar-winning actor getting a chance to grill the nation’s top infectious disease expert on COVID-19.
McConaughey rapidly fired questions at the 79-year-old doctor on everything from how concerned people should be about getting the virus from touching a door knob (not as much as sharing close physical space with someone who is infected, Fauci says) to whether Advil makes symptoms worse (it doesn’t).
“OK, true-false: Sunlight kills the virus?” McConaughey asked. “It does,” Fauci replied, supporting a theory pushed by President Donald Trump. “That’s the truth.” What about letting everyone get infected so we all become immune and the disease dies out? No way, Fauci said. That would cause big problems, particularly in America, where obesity is prevalent and related conditions like diabetes and hypertension are considered risk factors in how sick a person gets. “If everyone contracted it … a lot of people are going to die,” Fauci said. “The death toll would be enormous and totally unacceptable,” Fauci added. “And that’s the reason why we’re against saying, ‘Let it fly. Let everybody get infected and we’ll be fine.’ That’s a bad idea.”
Fauci also said Americans need to choose between getting to party this summer and opening schools in the fall: “You want to open the bars or you want to open the schools?”
McConaughey also asked Fauci if he had millions of dollars invested in a vaccine. Fauci laughed. “Matthew, no. I got zero! I’m a government worker. I have a government salary.”
McConaughey, known for his laid-back style and often photographed shirtless, instead wore a white-collared dress shirt and glasses for the interview. He turned philosophical at points, expressing his own personal disappointment and what he said was rage with the nation’s response to the pandemic. #coronavirus #covid19
- Stay tuned for live daily round-the-clock news coverage from our news team in Los Angeles, Hollywood, New York, Beverly Hills, and overseas from Entertainment & Sports Today TV, and Entertainment Today, and for the complete story go to: entertainmentandsportstoday.com, on Facebook & Instagram: @entertainmentandsportstoday, and Youtube.com/entertainmenttodaytv
- For tickets to future events, and Sponsorships and get advertising rates and info, E-Mail : email@example.com – and for more info about us go to: www.entertainmentandsportstoday.com & thanks for watching !
- For more information, and if you like to buy any of these great products that you saw on our TV show, E-Mail us direct: firstname.lastname@example.org so that one of our staff can connect you with the right people. Above is our video news story, that is part of the follow up to our daily news stories on the Coronavirus.
- For more news stories and updates about the Coronavirus : go to EntertainmentandSportsToday.com and go to the top of the home page and click on the “HEALTH & BEAUTY” section. Additional updates can be found by clicking the “Business & Technologies” , and “Entertainment” sections, or just click “Home”. For stories that may uplift your spirits during these trying times go to the “Music” section of our website.
- If you may have any questions- you can email us at email@example.com- so we can find you the answers from the doctors and health experts, that have written stories for us, and from the health agencies that have provided information and daily updates for us. & Thanks for watching, and be healthy and safe!